To celebrate its 15th anniversary, Topping introduces the DX9, a high-performance DAC/headphone amplifier . In addition to very high performance, Topping has given it a carefully considered aesthetic with an innovative and unique design. The DX9 uses high quality components, including the AKM AK4499EQ DAC chip.
This DAC chip is equivalent in performance to integrating at least two AK4499EX. In fact, it allows the Topping DX9 to achieve a dynamic range of 131 dB and a THD+N of less than 0.0007%. The AK4118AEQ chip provides optical/SPDIF signal reception with very low jitter. As for the headphone amplifier, the DX9 uses a discrete NFCA amplifier circuit, consisting of 6 modules of 39 transistors each.
The power stage is separated for the DAC and headphone amplifier, providing clean and stable power. In terms of aesthetics, the curved body and two screens with Topping’s proprietary Aurora UI provide the best user experience. Additionally, a clear top panel with an engraved Topping 15th Anniversary logo reveals the DX9’s advanced circuitry.
Topping has integrated the rare and legendary AK4499EQ 4-channel DAC chip into the DX9. This single chip provides performance equivalent to two AK4499EX chips, with a THD+N of less than 0.00007% and a dynamic range of 131 dB. It allows DX9 to support sample rates up to PCM 32-bit 768 kHz and native DSD up to DSD512.
The AK4499EQ DAC chip is paired with the AK4118AEQ optical/SPDIF signal receiving chip, which provides ideal signal reception on coaxial SPDIF, optical Toslink and AES/EBU inputs. Finally, CPLD works to optimize the clock and digital signal to achieve ideal levels of stability and purity.
The Topping DX9 headphone amplifier circuit is built around 6 discrete component modules, each consisting of 6 NFCA channels with 39 transistors. This circuit outperforms all other discrete component headphone amplifier circuits on the market. In fact, each module interacts with its counterparts to provide exceptional overall performance. The amplification circuit uses a balanced and unbalanced interface independently of each other, which allows it to significantly reduce noise and distortion. Moreover, thanks to this, the amplifier is capable of driving all types of headphones on the market, with a power of 2x 7000 mW @32Ω and a THD+N of less than 0.00009%.
The DX9’s rounded curves give it outstanding aesthetics. Combined with two color screens and the Aurora UI, the user experience is exceptional. To top it all off, a transparent plate on the top of the device allows you to see the DX9’s internal circuitry. This plate also features Topping to commemorate the company’s 15th anniversary.
The ultra-high-performance Qualcomm QCC5125 Bluetooth 5.1 chip allows Topping DX9 to work with high-quality wireless codecs: aptX, aptX HD, aptX Adaptative and LDAC. Qualcomm QCC2551 – 32-bit Low Energy chip (Bluetooth LE standard).
Topping DX9 Features:
- Item Type: DAC/Headphone Amplifier
- Inputs: 1x USB-B/2x coaxial SPDIF/2x optical Toslink/1x AES/EBU/1x I2S via HDMI/Bluetooth
- Outputs: XLR and RCA stereo line outputs/XLR and RCA stereo preamp outputs//1x 6.35mm jack headphone output/1x 4.4mm balanced jack headphone output/1x 4-pin XRL balanced headphone output
- DAC chip: AK4499EQ
- Trigger DAC 12V DX9 (Line Out / USB In @96kHz) THD+N @ 1kHz (A-wt): RCA : 0.00008%/XLR : 0.00007%
- THD @20-20kHz 90kBw: RCA : 0.00015% / XLR : 0.00015%
- SNR @1kHz (A-wt): RCA: 127 dB / XLR: 131 dB
- Dynamic Range: RCA: 127 dB / XLR: 131 dB
- Frequency Response: RCA : 20Hz-20kHz (±0.2dB) / 20Hz-40kHz (±0.6dB) / XLR : 20Hz-20kHz (±0.2dB) / 20Hz-40kHz (±0.6dB)
- Output Level: RCA : 2.1 Vrms @0dBFS/XLR : 4.2 Vrms @0dBFS
- Noise (A-wt): RCA : 1.0uVrms/XLR : 1.3uVrms
- Channel Crosstalk: RCA : -125dB @1kHz/XLR : -125dB @1kHz
- Channel Balance: RCA: 0.3 dB/XLR: 0.3 dB
- Output Impedance: RCA : 50 Ω /XLR : 100 Ω
- Supported sampling rates: PCM 32bit 768kHz, DSD native up to DSD512 DX9 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER (USB IN @96KHZ) THD+N @ 1kHz (A-wt): Unbalanced output: 0.00010% @ output=550mW (32Ω) / 0.00008% @ output=60mW (300Ω) / Balanced outputs: 0.00007% @ output=550mW (32Ω) / 0.00007% @ output=60mW (300Ω)
- THD @20-20 kHz 90 kBW: Unbalanced output: 0.00060% @ output=550mW (32Ω) / 0.00030% @ output=60mW (300Ω) / Balanced outputs: 0.00050% @ output=550mW (32Ω) / 0.00030 % @ output=60mW (300Ω)
- SNR @ Max out 1 kHz (A-wt): Unbalanced output: 131 dB @ 1 kHz / Balanced outputs: 132 dB @ 1 kHz
- Dynamic Range: Unbalanced: 131 dB @ 1 kHz/Balanced: 132 dB @ 1 kHz
- Frequency response: Unbalanced output: 20Hz-20kHz (±0.2dB) / 20Hz-40kHz (±0.6dB) / Balanced outputs: 20Hz-20kHz (±0.2dB) / 20Hz-40kHz (±0.6dB)
- Output Level: Unbalanced Output: 12Vpp @ G=L / 24Vpp @ G=H / Balanced Outputs: 12Vpp @ G=L / 47Vpp @ G=H
- Noise (A-wt): Unbalanced Output: 1.6uVrms @ G=L / 2.4uVrms @ G=H / Balanced Outputs: 1.3uVrms @ G=L / 4.2uVrms @ G=H
- Channel Crosstalk: Unbalanced Output: -98 dB @ 1 kHz / Balanced Outputs: 121 dB @ 1 kHz
- Gain: Unbalanced Output: G=L 12.5 dB (Vrms/FS) / G=H 18.5 dB (Vrms/FS) / Balanced Outputs: G=L 12.5 dB (Vrms/FS) / G=H 24.5 dB (Vrms/FS)
- Channel Balance: Unbalanced Output: 0.3dB/Balanced Outputs: 0.3dB
- Output Impedance: Unbalanced Output: 0.1Ω/Balanced Outputs: 0.1Ω
- Output Power: Unbalanced output:/2x 3300mW @16Ω THD+N1%/2x 2100mW @32Ω THD+N1%/2x 1190mW @64Ω THD+N1%/2x 240mW @300Ω THD+N1%//Balanced outputs: /2x 10000mW @16Ω THD+N1%/2x 7080mW @32Ω THD+N1%/2x 4250mW @64Ω THD+N1%/2x 950mW @300Ω THD+N1%/2x 460mW @300Ω THD+N1%
- Load impedance: Unbalanced output: > 8Ω/balanced outputs: 100Ω
- Color: black or silver