Apple has officially announced the availability of the next major operating system update for the iPhone – iOS 17.2. The December release is full of various innovations and bug fixes, but its main importance lies in the appearance of two of the most significant features that apply both to the current generation of flagships iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max, and to last year’s models. The size of the latest version of iOS varies from 1.3 GB to 3.7 GB depending on the smartphone.
- Diary application . The service allows you to save your thoughts and organize memories from important events in life in the form of detailed interactive notes with the ability to attach photos, videos, geolocation, friends and workouts from the Health application. There are smart recommendations, grouping by date, filters for quickly viewing entries in bookmarks or with attachments, the ability to lock your diary using Touch ID or Face ID, and iCloud cloud synchronization. Encryption is enabled by default.
- Built-in 3D video shooting . With iOS 17.2, iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max users can record video from two cameras simultaneously for a spatial effect. Such videos can be viewed through the Vision Pro mixed reality headset.
- One-click translation . The action button on iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max can now be assigned to launch Apple Translator. The function automatically and instantly translates words or phrases spoken by voice after activating the action button.
- Qi2 technology support . For smartphones of the iPhone 13 and iPhone 14 lines, accelerated wireless charging has been implemented using the new Qi2 standard – the power has been increased to 15 W. Qi2 chargers also feature a reinforced MagSafe magnetic mount.
- Health data in Siri . The voice assistant can now respond to personalized requests related to more than 20 categories of data from the Health application. This can range from general questions (“how full are my activity rings today”, “how many steps have I walked”, “what is my heart rate”, etc.) or recording specific indicators (“I took my medication at 8 am” , “I weigh 87 kg”, “my blood sugar level is 110 mg/dl”, etc.). The feature only works when paired with Apple Watch Series 9 or Apple Watch Ultra 2.
iOS 17.2 improvements and fixes:
- new weather and digital clock widgets;
- reaction stickers for messages in iMessage;
- settings for waist, bust, shoulders and arms for Memoji;
- auto-fill data inside PDF files;
- change the default notification sound;
- AirPlay receiver for streaming and transferring content from Vision Pro to iPhone;
- support for sharing boarding passes, movie tickets and other travel documents via AirDrop;
- Improved telephoto lens focusing speed on iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max;
- improved speed and fixed crashes when transferring content via NameDrop by bringing two iPhones closer together;
- Fixed incorrect connection of some third-party devices to iPhone in modem mode;
- Fixed an issue that prevented iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max from charging on Qi platforms in cars.