Not so long ago, we wrote in the news about the imminent premiere of the Viltrox AF 16mm f / 1.8 autofocus lens for Sony E full-frame mirrorless cameras, which features a large LCD screen for controlling shooting parameters. Moreover, in some online stores this lens appeared for pre-order even before the official premiere. News articles have used the epithet “ stunning ” when referring to this optic, and today this lens is officially introduced.
The price is also announced – $549.
Viltrox AF 16mm f/1.8
The Sony line has a 16mm F2.8 pancake lens, it is compact and lightweight, but there is no complete analogue with such a focal length and f / 1.8 aperture. Since almost all the parameters of the novelty have long been known, it remains only to recall the main characteristics of this lens.
Viltrox AF 16mm f/1.8
Main features of Viltrox AF 16mm f/1.8
- 16mm focal length, 105.6° field of view – for landscape and interior photography
- Optical design with 15 elements in 12 groups, including 4 ED glass lenses and 3 aspherical lenses
- The f1.8 aperture is useful in low light and for creating a shallow depth of field effect for creative experimentation. Aperture design – 9 blades, minimum value – F22
- Minimum focusing distance – 27 cm
- LCD display allows you to control shooting parameters – aperture and focusing distance
- SMT autofocus stepping motor supports eye and face detection
- All-weather construction, all-metal housing
- Length – 103 mm, weight – 550 g
- Filter diameter – 77 mm
- USB Type-C interface for firmware upgrade
Viltrox promises high image resolution, which can be achieved with high definition nano-multi-layer coating and 4 ED lenses that control dispersion, ghosting and flare. For shooting video, there are two modes of operation of the aperture ring – with and without clicks. The company emphasizes that the bayonet mount is made with high precision “ for professional use ”. Comes with two lids, lens hood and Viltrox branded pouch.
It is difficult to say how useful the LCD screen built into the lens is in practice, you must first get used to the fact that it is, in principle, available and start using it, after which you can already draw conclusions. At least, the author of these lines never had a thought like “how great it would be to have a small screen in the lens”. But the complex optical design, special lenses and high aperture of the lens look very, very curious.
What about the prices?
The Viltrox AF 16mm f/1.8 lens for the Sony E costs $549.