We recently announced the arrival of two exclusive Bowers & Wilkins 800 D 4 Series loudspeakers in deluxe finishes with the Signature suffix in their names. But these speakers are distinguished not only by the finish – the technical details of the new products have become known. Let’s start with the Bowers & Wilkins 801 D4 Signature .
The B&W 801 D4 Signature floorstanding speakers top the Bowers & Wilkins speaker range. The high-frequency range is served here by a diamond dome tweeter, which combines exceptional rigidity and low weight. Fifteen years after its development, Bowers & Wilkins engineers have not found a better alternative to reproduce the high frequency spectrum.
For the 800 D4 Signature series, the signature Solid Body Tweeter-on-Top tweeter cabinet has been upgraded to a longer shape with longer resonant tubes in the rear chamber. In addition, the tweeter grille has been improved. As a result, it was possible to achieve even more free and open sound at high frequencies.
The Bowers & Wilkins 801 D4 Signature uses a redesigned crossover mounted on rigid aluminum rods on the back of the case. This solution protects sensitive capacitors from unwanted effects of air pressure drops inside the case.
The Bowers & Wilkins 801 D4 Signature speaker cabinet has also been redesigned. Thus, the upper aluminum panel was redesigned to achieve even greater structural rigidity. New materials are used to finish the panel – exclusive leather from Connolly. The new Midnight Blue Metallic trim uses luxurious grained blue leather, while the California Burl Gloss trim features textured black leather.
Bowers & Wilkins 801 D4 Signature Speaker Specifications:
- Type: 3-way passive floorstanding speaker
- Drivers: 25mm Diamond Dome tweeter, 150mm Continuum™ FST™ cone midrange driver, 2x 250mm Aerofoil™ Profile cone woofers
- Acoustic design: phase-inverted
- Frequency response: 13Hz – 35kHz (-6dB), 15Hz – 28kHz (± 3dB)
- Sensitivity: 90 dB (2.83 Vrms, 1 m)
- THD: < 1% (30 Hz – 20 kHz), < 0.3% (100 Hz – 20 kHz)
- Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms (minimum 3.0 ohms)
- Recommended amplifier power: 50 W – 1 kW
- Single speaker dimensions (H x W x D): 1221 x 451 x 600 mm
- Single speaker weight : 100.6 kg